Waterproofing your stickers can help you extend their life and keep them in top condition, whether they belong on your car, laptop, favorite water bottle, or other objects. But how do you do it?
The answer lies in laminating sheets and sealant products, which create clear, protective layers to keep the water away.
Read on to learn the best ways to waterproof stickers. We'll also cover the best waterproofing products available on Amazon and compare costs.
Why Is It Important to Waterproof Stickers?
There are several reasons you'll want to waterproof your favorite stickers, including cost, lifespan, and appearance.
It Makes for Longer Use
Laminating your stickers or sealing them to make them waterproof is mainly helpful because it makes your stickers last way longer.
Say you go to a National Park and get a sticker as a souvenir. The point of the souvenir is to have something to remember the trip by, and if that sticker starts peeling, fading, and deteriorating due to water damage, you won't have the memento much longer.
Even strong stickers, like vinyl ones, are prone to damage, so you'll want to ensure they last as long as you can get them to.
It's More Cost Efficient in the Long Run
Another reason it's good to seal and laminate your stickers is that it gets expensive to replace them after a while.
While stickers themselves usually cost less than $5, the cost to continue replacing them is not as much as the cost to just waterproof them ahead of time.
It Maintains the Sticker's Appearance
Stickers seem kind of pointless if their design fades or washes away. I mean, the whole point of a sticker is to show off a design or statement, which isn't going to happen if water has damaged it.
Waterproofing your stickers has the obvious yet essential effect of keeping them looking bright, colorful, and almost exactly as they did when you got them.
What Can I Use to Waterproof My Stickers?
There are several products you can use to seal and waterproof your stickers, depending on what surface they're stuck on. We'll outline some of the most cost-efficient and effective options.
Note that if your stickers are going on water bottles or other objects you plan to run through a dishwasher, you should get a sealant that is dishwasher safe.
Sealant spray is a budget-friendly option, and it creates a clear shellac surface on your sticker if you apply it well.
You can choose a glossy or a matte textured aerosol sealant spray. The process of applying it is as simple as spraying from the product's intended distance and letting it dry under the proper temperature and humidity conditions.
If you use multiple layers, you will need to wait about 30 minutes between applications.
For the liquid sealant option, we will outline a product called Mod Podge, which is common in the crafting world and very versatile. Mod Podge is a glue-like substance that appears white but dries clear.
You can apply multiple layers of this to your stickers with a paintbrush, but be careful as it might not provide the most even or clean coating.
Laminating sheets are clear plastic sheets that have adhesive so you can apply them directly over your stickers.
These are a great option if you don't want the mess of using liquid or spray sealants, which can let off fumes and take longer to apply.
This option works well if you haven't yet stuck your sticker onto its desired surface. Here's a simple way to do this:
What Are the Best Products for Waterproofing Stickers?
Liquid and Aerosol Sealants
On Amazon, there are a variety of aerosol sealants to choose from, but when it comes to liquid sealants, stick with the basics (Mod Podge).
On Amazon, you have several options for Mod Podge sealant:
Mod Podge Gloss Decoupage
- Perfect for all surfaces indoors and out.
- Easy and convenient to use.
- This product is manufactured in United States.
Mod Podge Matte Decoupage
- Add this multi-purpose, all-in-one glue, sealer, and finish in a 16 oz bottle to your art supplies.
- This quick-drying formula works on a variety of surfaces such as wood, paper, canvas, tin, terra cotta, and more - making this a must-have product for all your arts and crafts!
- Clean up is easy with Mod Podge!
Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe Decoupage
- Mod podge water base gloss Sealer, glue and finish.
- Dishwasher-safe formula.
- Perfect for sealing your art projects on dishwasher safe item.
On Amazon, you also have options for aerosol spray sealants:
Krylon Acrylic Spray Paint
- Moisture-resistant and smudge-proof.
- Improves artwork and photo contrast.
- Dries to the touch in 10 to 15 minutes. Dry to handle in 2 hours.
Minwax Polycrylic Aerosol Spray Sealant
- Ultra fast-drying formula allows for quick recoats in 2 hours.
- Water-based formula allows for easy soap and water clean up.
- Available in gloss, semi gloss, satin, matte and ultra flat.
When it comes to lamination sheets, you have several options to choose from on Amazon:
VViViD Clear Self-Adhesive Lamination Vinyl
- Add a high gloss finish with excellent transparency to any document, artwork, photo or graphic.
- 3-mil thick film is waterproof, scragtchproof and UV resistant for 5+ years.
- Self-adhesive film requires no heat or special equipment for easy DIY installations.
Avery Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets
- Seals important documents for convenient protection.
- Self-adhesive with easy-peel backing for easy sealing.
- Grid helps you quickly and easily size documents.
Scotch Self-Sealing Laminating Sheets
- Instant, permanent document laminating without heat or hassle.
- Protects your larger documents.
- Easy to use.. No special equipment needed.
Protective Goggles and Other Tools You May Need
When using aerosol spray sealants, it's advisable to protect your eyes with a basic pair of protective goggles. Amazon provides great and affordable options, including:
Gateway Safety Glasses
- One-piece polycarbonate lens fits over most prescription glasses.
- Lightweight design, with adjustable length temples for a customized fit.
- Flexible temple tips minimize pinching behind the head.
NoCry Safety Glasses
- Material: Latex free polycarbonate.
- Lenses: Clear, with anti-scratch & anti-fog coatings.
- UV protection: 380nm (nanometers).
Amoolo Kids Safety Glasses
- Protective safety goggles for kids, Pack of 12 pairs per box, Clear lens assorted with 12 colors frames, Special made for youth as a gift.
- Offering eye protection against UV 400, scratches, impacts and ballistics. Meets ANSI Z87.1 Lens Protection Standard.
- Specially designed to fit children comfortably.
You may also consider getting some brushes for liquid sealants like Mod Podge. Consider the following, available on Amazon:
Mod Podge Paint Brush Applicator
- This simple wide decoupage brush measures 2 1/4" for covering large surface areas with Mod Podge.
- This handy rounded brush features beautiful premium synthetic bristles for long lasting use and leaves fewer brush strokes.
- Use this versatile brush to apply Mod Podge to projects big and small.
FoamPRO Foam Brush
- 1.5 inch premium quality refillable foam Brush & 4 refills is for a smooth finish with no Brush marks.
- It is ideal for smooth surfaces.
- For use with all paints, polyurethanes & stains.
We all want to make sure that we protect our favorite stickers from the elements, and that includes water. Waterproofing stickers is luckily a simple task if you have the right tools.
Consider waterproofing your stickers next time with an appropriate liquid sealant, aerosol spray sealant, or self-adhesive laminating sheet. It could make the difference between a sticker that lasts months and a sticker that lasts years.